Enjoy the comfort of a satisfying yet health sandwich all week long with this fabulous recipe featuring healthy fats in the avocado, protein in the white beans, antioxidants in the olive oil, and saponins in the sprouts help balance cholesterol levels. Thanks to Kate Merker at Real Simple for the recipe.
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 5 oz sprouts
- 2 avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
- 12 slices multigrain bread
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans, oil, salt, and pepper. Roughly mash the mixture with the back of a fork.
- Place 8 of the bread slices on a work surface. Divide the mashed beans among them. Top with the onion, cucumber, sprouts, and avocado.
- Stack the open-faced sandwiches on top of one another, avocado-side up, to make 4 double-decker sandwiches. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Slice each sandwich in half, if desired, and serve.